Simplicity 2443, Cynthia Rowley sewing pattern

One week ago I returned home after spending one week in our cabin. I was all by myself (almost) with my dog Turid :-). I spent my days sewing and going for long walks. OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis photo is a bit misleading. I didn’t bring a camera this time, but I wanted to share a picture with you. In reality there is lots of snow there now. Maybe a bit too much. I am ready for spring.IMG_3593

In this photo you can see what weather we REALLY have :-)

Still the good part was, I did a lot of sewing. The project I spent most time on was coverCynthia Rowley’s sewingpattern, “simplicity 2443. I have had this pattern for some time. In a way it looked boring, but I decided to give it a try.

I was surprised to discover all the nice details in the pattern as I worked. The more I progressed, the more I liked it.

I made the jacket from a denim-like cotton and the dress with ITY jersey.

The jacket took some time because of the pocket and other details.

The dress itself has a simple shape, but the yoke, waistband and hidden zipper add detail. I love the result more than I had anticipated. I lengthened the skirt of the dress by about 20cm /almost 8 inches. jakke bak

forran mglad

My oldest daughter was delighted with it.

side2sidebak

About these ads

About sewingforfun

Have four children, am a nurse. Am presently at home during the days. Have been sewing since I was little, and I enjoy it.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Simplicity 2443, Cynthia Rowley sewing pattern

  1. prttynpnk says:

    Nicely done! Was the yoke on the dress hard to do in a knit? Its on my todo list, but I worry about the trickiness….

    • sewingforfun says:

      It was the type of thing to work slowly with. Just get it right. It was probably the part of the dress I spent the most time on. I didnt bring any elastic interfacing to the cabin, so I had to improvise. I used a fusible web and some scrap fabric from the dress as interfacing. That worked well. I added the fusible web to the cut yoke, then ironed it on to the fabric. Afterwards I cut it. That way it fit perfectly and I didnt have to stess with trying to get every part to fit (if it was precut it most likely would have been more tricky).

      Of course I always think it is tricky to do seams from the inside when the fabric pieces are so small. I am thinking about the arm opening area, after sewing the neck opening. But I just make sure my shoulder seams match and start there. I baste first, sometimes just small areas at a time. When everything is right I sew.

      After sewing the front and back of the yoke together, I basted arround the neckline and arm area. Especially since my fabric was so, what should I say “allive”. I had to “tame” it and constantly keep it under control. After ironing I staystitched the bottom part of it together before sewing it to the rest of the dress. Now in retrospect I am thinking I should of made my basting stitches higher up, so I could sew one layer of the yoke to the dress at a time and closing the other seam nicely over it. I confess, I cheated and sewed both layers in one step. (Then I would have removed those higher basting stitches afterwards. )

      In the end I removed the basting around neck and arm area, I think it gave a nicer look not having them there. :-)

      Thank you for asking :-)

  2. sewexhausted says:

    Awesome job! That is a great dress! And the jacket- the extra detailing was well worth it.

  3. velosewer says:

    I love the jacket style, but I’m kinda jacket biased. Great work.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s