McCalls 6697

coverWhen I saw this pattern, it made me think of my sister. She loves fitted dresses with full skirts. This one looked very comfortable and it also had an interesting design with the pattern pieces cut diagonally.

I just finished 4 versions of this dress. One for each of my daughters, one for my sister and for myself.

.

Here my daughters and I model our dresses. My dress form is wearing my sister’s version.

alle

Initially they are all made with view A in mind. It has volanges in the bottom and a fitted bodice. For my youngest daughter’s version I also added piping, a cowl neck collar and little cap sleeves. My oldest daughters dress is lengthened by a few inches/cm.

The part I struggled most with (to begin with) was getting the volanges right. Here is an overview of where they go:cathrine i sving2 copy

Here are some photos of the dresses:Rebeca forran

Rebecca bak

 

cathrine i svingcath sidebak cathKristin bakdristin sideforran Kristin..

About these ads

About sewingforfun

Have four children, am a nurse. Am presently at home during the days. Have been sewing since I was little, and I enjoy it.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to McCalls 6697

  1. coco says:

    The three of you are adorable! I was just looking at this pattern this afternoon on Etsy, it popped up in a search for knit dresses. What a fun dress!

  2. sewingforfun says:

    Yes it really is a fun dress. As you probably can tell, there was something about it,- I actually made four of them :-). I felt the need to better master some parts and I got ideas for trying out new versions.

    I discovered that I needed to emphasize the cut in the dress when sewing. First I made the “piping dress” in just plain fabric. I found it a little boring. The shape of the dress was sort of drowned in the print of the fabric. I ended up taking the whole thing appart and using a contrasting (same type) fabric to make a piping. To fill the piping I used some round soft elastic.

    As I said I like the look of the piping, but it adds a little bulk. I had to work arround it and opened up the arms a little extra, so it wouldnt scratch against the arm area. Then I closed it up with a little fabric and added the sleeves. :-) I do not think I will do that again, lots of work getting it right.

    The plain fabric was the easiest. I am sure there are many solutions that would be great.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s