Loretti 5144, lace dress with fabric flowers.

I saw this really gorgeous lace dress on the internet. Look at this:

I found this creation at http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/mocha-biscotti-dress .

Isn’t this something any girl would die for??? I really wanted to try to make something like it, but I wanted it to have a bit of a sleeve. I started studying my fabric stash to see if there was anything I could use. I found brown stretch lace and a left over piece of darker brown organza fabric (it is all artificial, not silk). The best lining I could find was some cream colored stretch jersey. This would have to work, I really wanted to try.

.

I decided that a very simple pattern meant for stretch fabrics would work. I would just layer it and add the details as I went allong. I chose  Loretti 5144. It might not be an obvious choice for a dress like this, but I was sure it would work.

.

.

Before cuting my pattern pieces, I cut of the scalloped borders on the sides of the lace fabric. I planned to use these as finishing ruffles along the neckline, sleeves and at the bottom of the dress.

.

Left you see the pattern pieces are laid out on the floor. I began by sewing them as numbered on the photo.

Next I sewed the under arm and side seams.

.

.

I cut the same pieces from my lining fabric and sewed them the same way.

As I worked, I first machine basted before I tried it on my dress form. This gave me a chance to alter the seams and secured a good fit. By nature I am actually eager to move forward in my project. I would prefer to just sew and get going 🙂 . But many mistakes and a lot of seam ripping is slowly teaching me to do it the safe way.  I actually find that my projects turn out a lot better this way, especially when using loretti sewing patterns (since there are no accurate measurements given on the pattern pieces), so it is really saving me time and energy.

I cut the same pieces from my lining fabric and sewed them the same way.

The lining is cut a bit shorter than the lace pattern pieces at the bottom and I added the brown ruffle made from the organza fabric. Now the dress is taking shape, exciting.

Before assembling the dress and lining I added the zipper to the dress, sewed on my lace ruffles (that I previously cut from the side panels of the lace fabric).

Here you see my daughter in her new lace dress.

The Fabric Flowers:

The flowers I cut from the organza and the lace fabric. I used UHU fabric glue to prevent the fabric from unraveling along the edges.  I think it is important to choose fabric glue that dries clear and is resistant to wash.  I let the flowers dry before adding them to the dress. I both added a “tad” (not too much) of glue and sewed them.

Advertisements

About sewingforfun

Have four children, am a nurse. Am presently at home during the days. Have been sewing since I was little, and I enjoy it.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s