I am finished!!!! The last couple of weeks I have worked on this dress. I made all the parts except the belt. The petticoat was finished today and my daughter and I are both very happy with the results.
In this photo you can see a tiny bit of the petticoat. My daughter loves drama and happily poses for her photoes!
I ended up sewing the cuffsto the dress. Because I placed the zipper in the center back I sewed half of the collar to the dress and the other half has snaps on it.
I shortened the sleeves, the skirt length and the center front slit. But in general I really like the shape of this dress.
Adjusting the fit over the bust was my greatest Challenge With this pattern. My daughter is an A cup, so I had to do something there. You can read about that in my previous post https://sewingforfun.wordpress.com/2015/03/23/reducing-the-bust-size-on-a-princess-seam-dress/
I made my own Version of the petticoat. It needed to be much Shorter then the pattern indicates to fit the length of her dress. It is built on the general pattern instructions though. If I did it again, I would use even less fabric in the very top part. I dont like bulk in the tummy area. Still it Works well.
This coming Sunday my daughter is off to her Easter youth retreat with the youth in Our Church. Now she is ready for the party on the last night of the retreat. She is looking forward to this very much. Being a Young woman looking and feeling pretty is so important.
And me, I couldn’t be more proud of my wonderful Young “lady”! She has her own style and lets me know exactly what the garment needs to look like. But this is great, because I want her to feel good about what she is wearing. 🙂